Uber and Lyft in Vegas Guide
Ridesharing applications have done more than just give Las Vegas visitors a new transportation option. Services like Uber and Lyft offer more choice and convenience than ever before. Since these companies operate 24 hours a day, getting a ride is as simple as having enough charge in your smartphone.
Up until late 2015, taxi cabs ruled the Las Vegas roadways from the Strip to Fremont Street. While other major metro areas already had established ridesharing networks, legal battles made Sin City relatively late to the game. Ridesharing officially launched in Nevada in 2014; however, a court injunction essentially barred operations for 15 months. Now that Uber and Lyft are here to stay, casinos and visitors have embraced the services.
How to Use Lyft and Uber in Las Vegas
Both companies designed their programs to be intuitive and easy enough for even the most tech-phobic users. As long as you have a smartphone, you can hail a ride using Uber or Lyft in Las Vegas. Of course, you’ll also need to download the apps. After the installation is complete, you’ll have to put in some personal details and payment information. Allowing smartphone permissions like GPS location services will make arranging a pickup easier.
When you first open a ridesharing app, a map of your location will appear. To request a ride, type in your pickup address. Both apps use GPS to help find your position; however, it’s often wise to double-check and enter the location yourself. You’ll then have to put in the destination. Once you review the fare estimation and everything is all set, hit the “request” button to schedule a ride. The app will automatically pair you with the nearest driver who accepts the request. Since most drivers arrive in less than 5 minutes, don’t request a ride until you’re at the pickup spot and ready to leave.
Ridesharing Versus Taxi Services
While ridesharing and taxi services perform the same function, they have several differences. Tried and true cab companies have essentially been serving customers the same way for decades. On the other hand, ridesharing services embrace new technologies and modern needs. Some of the most notable differences between the two transportation options include the following:
- Ridesharing drivers are independent contractors who are often earning side income.
- Taxi companies generally use full-time drivers who may be more experienced.
- For the most part, ridesharing is the cheaper option.
- Taxis have higher standard rates, but they usually don’t institute surge pricing during busy hours.
- Before requesting a ridesharing pickup, a patron can get an accurate fare estimate and see which route the driver should take.
- Las Vegas taxi drivers unfortunately have a reputation for long hauling, or taking longer routes to increase rates.
- Ridesharing drivers are more accessible and easier to request in most places.
- Most major Las Vegas hotels have designated taxi lines that make it convenient to hail a cab.
- Ridesharing drivers use their own vehicles and are subject to riders’ star ratings.
- Cab drivers have to get special permits and use specialized vehicles.
Much like taxi operators, ridesharing drivers must strictly obey all traffic laws and follow certain transportation industry standards. This often means picking up and dropping off riders at designated areas. At most Las Vegas hotels, these zones can be found near the valet area. Before you request a ride at a property, be sure you locate the sign for the designated ridesharing zone.
Las Vegas Strip Locations for Pickups
- Aria:The ridesharing pick-up zone is at the north entrance.
- Bally’s:Pickups are done at tour bus location, which is at the north tower closest to Flamingo Road.
- Bellagio:You’ll find the ridesharing zone just outside the south tour lobby, which is a few paces south of the main entrance.
- Caesars Palace:The designated pick-up area is at the shuttle bus area just across from the main entrance.
- Circus Circus:A ridesharing area can be found near the east entrance of the hotel, not far from the walkway to Slots A Fun.
- Cosmopolitan:The pick-up location can be found just past the main entrance off Harmon Avenue.
- Cromwell:To reach the pick-up point, head to the east entrance and then continue to the roundabout at the Flamingo Hotel.
- Encore:Pick-up locations are available at the hotel main entrance as well as the Encore Tower Suites main entrance.
- Excalibur:A ridesharing zone is just outside the Royal Tower entrance, near the southeast corner of the resort.
- Flamingo:The pick-up area is at the south end of the roundabout at the hotel main entrance.
- Harrah’s:A ridesharing area can be found near the valet area outside the north entrance of the casino.
- Linq Hotel:The pick-up area is at the hotel bus and tour lobby.
- Luxor:Pickups are done at the tour bus zone, which is at the north entrance off Reno Avenue.
- Mandalay Bay:The ridesharing zone is located at the lower level guest pickup area.
- MGM Grand:You’ll find the pick-up location just east of the main entrance, below the Las Vegas Monorail tracks.
- Mirage:Pick-up zones are available at the main entrance and the north entrance.
- New York-New York:The pick-up area is just a few paces east of the main entrance.
- Palazzo:A designated zone is located in front of the shuttle area at the north end of the hotel.
- Paris:You’ll find the ridesharing location at the tour and bus pick-up area just outside the north entrance.
- Park MGM:Ridesharing pickups are done just a few paces west of the main entrance.
- Planet Hollywood:Pickups are made just north of the hotel lobby entrance at the tour bus pick-up zone.
- Sahara:The pick-up location can be found near Las Vegas Boulevard at the main entrance area.
- The Strat:Pickups are handled at the main hotel entrance.
- Treasure Island:A designated area can be found on the other end of Siren’s Cove Boulevard across from the main entrance.
- Tropicana:There’s a pick-up zone near the valet area just outside the north entrance.
- Venetian:Pickups are made just north of the main entrance valet area.
- Wynn:A pick-up area can be found outside the south entrance.
- McCarran International Airport Locations for Pickups
- Terminal 1:Head to the Terminal 1 parking garage and wait on level 2M for ridesharing pickups.
- Terminal 3:Go to the Terminal 3 parking garage and wait at the valet level for ridesharing pickups.
Uber & Lyft Promo Codes & Discounts
Ridesharing can be even more convenient when you qualify for discounted fares. Before you request Uber in Las Vegas, apply promo code 0h16m. This discount will give you $10 worth of ride credits.